Saturday, July 27, 2013

Life Is Not Fair, Or Easy


I wrote this two days ago:

I write this with a heavy, heavy heart.  Some friends of mine have lost their son, who has fought valiantly, for years to overcome a kidney disease he was born with.  The rain is pouring down, and I’ve heard people say, “The rain drops are tears from heaven.” 

Maybe.  If the rain drops are tears from my loved one, I would dance in them all night long.  It would be a fabulous way to feel the warmth and breathe of my loved one again.  I would open up my arms and savor every last drop.  Instead of taking shelter from the rain, I would let it envelop me, like a long, warm hug.

Unfortunately, the rain drops don’t offer the comfort we need.

Real, gut-wrenching grief is one of the most horrific aspects of life.   When my sister died, it was the first taste of true loss, complete sorrow and the realization that you have no control over life.  Since then, I’ve told myself, I would rather die than suffer through so much pain again.   I know a lot of people who would say the same. 

Unfortunately, we don’t make those decisions.  We move on, reluctantly, never forgetting those we’ve lost – in fact, trying to remember them more and more with each day that passes.

And it reminds me, we should dance with the people we love – in the rain – and tell them how much we love them, again and again and again.

The bottom line: We all have a small amount of time on this earth.  Let’s not waste it on the trivial - John certainly didn’t! www.thegutsgearfoundation.org

1 comment:

  1. So sorry for your loss(es).

    Beautifully written thoughts on cherishing every minute of our life. I'm lucky enough to return my father home from a brief hospital stay today. His heart is failing....so our time is limited but we'll cherish every moment! Thank you for sharing....

    ReplyDelete